Uploading videos online and then creating captions for each video segment by segment may not be everybody’s cup of tea. After all, desktop applications and other software are still a favorite with many Internet users today and if you’d still prefer to add captions by yourself by using reputed applications, then we’ve got reviews on two such software for you here :
- Subtitle Workshop: This is probably the only caption editing software you will ever really need because it comes with a host of features that are quite impressive and best of all; its free! With regard to reading and writing new captions; you’ll find that this software can edit both time and frame based subtitles and supports a wide range of 56 formats in total. If you prefer to load your files in a plain text editor, you can do so here. Want to make sure that certain portions of your subtitles stand out? Then use the bold/italics/underline editing options which ensure that your target audience will not miss a single word. This highly user friendly software allows you to create shortcuts, supports over 35 languages and allows you to switch the video preview option on and off. Plus, you’ll also enjoy previewing your edited videos and customizing the colors as well so that your end product is as perfect as you want it to be. Overall, this software works really well and doesn’t show any lag in speed either which indirectly ensures that you don’t waste too much time making any actual edits.
- MovieCaptioner: This software is available for both Windows and Mac OS systems. You won’t have to scratch your head over how to use this software because the site has a free well-explained demo on the many features of MovieCaptioner which can be downloaded as well. This software is ideal for those who want to add captions to full- length movies although you can also add subtitles to short videos or clips which can be uploaded to YouTube. You can also view them on your iPhone or burn a DVD of your edited video as well as this software lets you import a wide range of caption formats without disrupting the time code either. If you have quite a few videos which need to be edited frequently, investing in this software may be a good decision as quite a few famous showbiz names prefer to turn to this software for all their captioning requirements!
If you thought transcription was only meant for professionals in medical and corporate organizations, then we have great news for you! Transcripts are quite a cool way to reach a target audience anywhere in the world and when combined with the awesome reach of audio and video files, you not only give people the chance to really understand what you’re saying, but you can even reach out to them in their own language. For instance, let’s take YouTube. Sure, watching the latest funny clips, teasers, movie trailers or pop song videos can be fun, but YouTube also spells serious marketing potential.
It’s not unusual for many well-known brands to create small clips about a product and use YouTube as a forum for promotional purposes. In case, this is one idea that you haven’t explored, don’t worry we’ll show you how. In fact, over the next few articles, we will be looking at how adding a speech transcript to your YouTube videos gives you so many benefits we bet you never thought about. And of course, how to do it as well!
But first, let’s talk about CaptionTube. Simply put, this web application allows you to add closed captions to any segment of your video after you import the video that you want to edit. Here’s how it works:
- You can choose to edit a video that is already up on YouTube by clicking on the ‘Personal Video’ option in the CaptionTube app.
- You don’t need a third party software at all, because once you give permission for the integration of CaptionTube and YouTube, you’ll find a list of videos featured in your private and public list showing up on your screen.
- Once you decide which video you would like to import for editing purposes, simply click on the ‘Import’ option and you can begin adding captions once it shows up on the ‘My Videos’ page.
- By using the ‘Play’ and ‘Add caption’ buttons, you will now be able to insert your own captions while the video plays.
Besides a scaleable timeline, this app allows users to preview any caption that has been added within seconds so that you understand how your target audience actually views them. Plus, the added bonus of allowing you to create multiple language tracks is a winner all the way. CaptionTube removes the need for additional software which can be a burden and once you’re done, you can also export your edited video for use anywhere else too. This may be quite helpful for boardroom meetings, group discussions and even focus group interviews. In addition, the right usage of captions goes a long way in helping you to stress a point further or even to catch the attention of your viewer.